The Princess's Diaries

Thursday, November 17, 2005

Bits and Bobs

I may have a new dance partner! Luke went bar-crawling instead of ballroom dancing tonight so i danced with a lovely guy called Greg and found out he's looking for a new partner. He and his current partner have too great a height difference and it messes up their balance. I actually went tonight with a view to finding someone new because Luke's not as committed to it as I want to be, which means we often miss lessons. So if all works out fine and we don't offend too many friends, Greg and i may end up together, which will be fab! We have been learning the rumba, which is a very romantic dance with complex footwork and difficult timing...but when it's done well it's so beautiful and intense!

Won't be attending the practice session this sunday though, cos i'm off to the National Fusion Weekend! Woo! Apparently no showers...this may be an issue...but i know that God is gonna encourage me and Joe (cell buddy) loads and hopefully invigorate our already much-invigorated sense of vision and purpose for cells this year!

I'm quite excited about my art work. It's taking ages for the full version to be realised but the maquettes are interesting! This year I'm making Secret Places - small rooms where a person can go to reflect or meditate or do whatever they want - just be. My first one looks a lot like a prayer room! My next one will be much more of an enclosed coccoon-like space with some gorgeous red or purple fabric. Watch this space.

Oh yeah. Trip to Poland got cancelled. Gutted...may try and go anyway, maybe arrange to visit cousins.

Dissertation is proving very difficult. Have to hand in my introduction soon. My current frustration, which i'm feeling in both my theory and my art practice, is that as soon as i mention God my whole argument seems invalid in the eyes of everyone else. I don't want to have to write a dissertation about 'spirituality' per se, it's just that my beliefs about humanity and creation play a part in my argument in favour of immersive installations and the embodied-transcendent experience. I see the spiritual and physical dimensions of creation and humanity as inherently connected, and that has huge implications for art (especially my art). Other writers believe that too (e.g. Merleau-Ponty, who i'm studying for the diss.) but for me it's because of God, but people dismiss it when i say that...grr...

Now i'm off to try and find some plasticine...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home