The Princess's Diaries

Tuesday, October 18, 2005

*Gazes Dreamily into the Middle-Distace*

Have just floated back home from ballroom (and latin) dancing class. I love to dance. These kinds of dances – and especially the waltz – rely on God’s order for men and women. The man must lead, and lead well: he must be strong, he must know the right steps to take, he must give clear instruction, he must be confident and he must honour the woman. If he fails in these ways, the dance will never even get off the ground. The woman must submit: she must relax within the man’s strength, respond to his signals and trust him to move her in the correct way. If she tries to move of her own decision, the dance breaks up. In this kind of submission she is beautiful.

Today we had advanced competition practice. Luke, my regular partner, didn’t come but I danced with a lovely guy called Simon instead. He’s been dancing all summer and he’s good: strong, confident, patient! We didn’t learn any steps but we practiced technique for the waltz. It makes such a difference when you are holding each other correctly! It was great fun – you have to be a bit light-hearted about it when you are pressed together at the abdomen! And so we floated gracefully around the hall for an hour, my left hand resting in the groove of Simon’s biceps while his right hand directed my movement from its position on my shoulder blade…can’t wait till Thursday’s lesson!

4 Comments:

Blogger Sipech said...

I'd have thought by now that you'd realised that all guys called Simon are lovely. Only you happen to have the only one that can actually dance properly!

October 21, 2005 2:24 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Yay - that's exactly why I adored dancing too. Being able to just relax into a strong lead. I think I posted something about that too. Wish could still go :(

October 21, 2005 6:30 PM  
Blogger Harriet said...

Luke: Is he your tall housemate that I met at your birthday?

Do you find you have height issues?

October 22, 2005 1:26 AM  
Blogger Alina said...

Luke is indeed my tall housemate - but he's not übertall...we don't have height issues...just issues with getting the right steps! heehee. think we're gonna go to the practice on sunday to perfect (or just improve) our new cha cha variation

October 22, 2005 2:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home