The Princess's Diaries

Sunday, July 16, 2006

Ready, Steady, Read!

The summer is a funny time for a person making their way through education. It’s a large but delineated expanse during which the onward progress of the normal way cannot continue, so it needs to be filled with something else.

For me, the normal way – university life – didn’t permit much time for leisurely reading, something which I missed an awful lot. Last summer such was my need that I ended up overdosing –I spent about two and half weeks solidly reading, interrupted only by the need for sleep (taken between the hours of 3am and 11am) and food and occasional human contact. It was an enjoyable but utterly surreal existence and now that I once again have time to read I intend to do things rather more sensibly.

Indeed, since my journey through education has now come to an end, the normal way will hopefully include time for reading. So, inspired by Jude, I’m going to attempt to read a certain number of books in this, my first year of post-education life. To read 100 books in a year seems overly ambitious at the moment so I’m going to try for 25 fiction and 25 non-fiction.

I’ve already got one of each on the go; await reviews with anticipation!

5 Comments:

Blogger Sipech said...

Are we allowed to make suggestions?

July 17, 2006 1:27 AM  
Blogger Alina said...

yes, do :)


also, does anyone know how i make a lovely separate page for my reviews so i don't have to mix them in with my normal blog posts?

July 18, 2006 3:49 AM  
Blogger Neil O'Hara said...

just make another blog. Jude could prob tell ya a better way though.

What you got on the go at the mo'?

July 18, 2006 8:55 AM  
Blogger Alina said...

hello, nice to see you here on this blog of mine :)

i'm reading (well i've finished it now) Driving Over Lemons (a travel/autobiography thing) and it's sequel by Chris Stewart, and some weird Irish novel called The Third Policeman which is very surreal.

i might just make another blog and link em up. clever

July 18, 2006 10:52 AM  
Blogger Sipech said...

My recommendations:

Jude the Obscure by Thomas Hardy (almost finished re-reading it)

Don't you have time to think? by
Richard Feynman (a great insight into his mind)

Homer's Odyssey

July 25, 2006 12:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home