The Princess's Diaries

Thursday, January 04, 2007

Anyone fancy going for a walk?

Whilst trudging through boggy grass today I was thinking today about the idea of taking a long walk. Bilbo goes on a long walk with 12 dwarves in The Hobbit. Several Middle Earth years later, the fellowship of the ring took a pretty long walk. Of course, those are highly romanticised versions with herioc deeds and strange meetings along the way. But extraordinary long walks happen in real life too.

I've never been on a really long walk, not even an ordinary one. So I think I would like to do one. A long, cross-country walk with no particular goal other than to reach the destination. I suppose I just wonder what it is like, to do pretty much the same thing day after day, putting one foot in front of the other with the scenery changing ever so slowly around you. I think I would like to do it this year, in the spring or summer. I don't fancy going alone, though. Anyone up for a long walk?

2 Comments:

Blogger Sipech said...

Penine Way? I've only done small sections of that but it's very good.

I'd also recommend the Pembrokeshire coastal path, so long as you don't mind walking along high, crumbling cliffs. The wind blows inland, anyway. The only tricky bit is the southwestern tip is owned by the MoD and they only allow you to walk there on certain days of the year.

January 05, 2007 3:02 AM  
Blogger jeff said...

I am so totally up for going on a real walk. totally.
Kinda missed the summer... but so up for it. :-)

October 22, 2007 3:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home