The Princess's Diaries

Monday, May 09, 2005

My Conversations with Housemates

The girl didn't come to look at the house...valuable revision time spent watching 'serious desert' and neighbours with the lads while waiting for the girl...oh well...start revising in a minute i guess. german exam tomorrow. my attitude currently is "fine, i'll practice some grammar but i'll never learn enough new vocab to actually make a difference and as for translation, if i can't do it now i'll never be able to." So that kinda excuses me from a bunch of revision. i'll let you know how the results go!

In other news, i just had a vaguely annoying conversation with my housie Luke who managed to turn a nice chat about the art scene and how we now have a plurality of values instead of following a linear progressive path into some weird argument about the 'tv-static' of your brain on a molecular level causing spontaneous thought. argh! i just wanted to talk about art instead of physics for a change. last night's convo with sooti much more satisfying. he doesn't constantly seek to disprove what i say, and instead we had a fab time finding the similarities and differences between the study of art and english...(and discussing Foucault, post-modernism and value at length!)

we art students are very blessed. our tutors actually call our work 'art', whereas Sooti and co. (heeheehee) are never referred to as the authors of 'literature', only 'pieces'.

5 Comments:

Blogger Steveybabe said...

"we art students are very blessed. our tutors actually call our work 'art', whereas Sooti and co. (heeheehee) are never referred to as the authors of 'literature', only 'pieces'."

*cue rant about 'pieces' :o) *

let pieces be defined as above
let a (= pieces
let b (= pieces

then assume an operator, which we shall call '+' exists and is defined as the combination of elements of the set of 'pieces'

Hence, we have a + b as a combination of pieces.

let c = a + b and hyothesize that c > a and c > b. If this is true, then we have that the combination of pieces is greater than any of the inital pieces.

I.e by combining ideas ('pieces') you can create a new idea that is greater than all of its 'ideas'

Is that not a form of art in itself?!

(btw, its a very flawed proof!, and isn't actually meant to hold any relevance! thought I might just poke some fun at your last paragraph! In good humour of course!)

May 10, 2005 7:02 AM  
Blogger Harriet said...

Now that's the kind of crazy argument I like! It reminds me of something David Cannings once sent me which managed to prove that girls are evil...

I'll put it on my blog when I'm next on my laptop... quietingthemind.blogspot.com if you're interested.

May 10, 2005 3:28 PM  
Blogger Steveybabe said...

Yay! Cool - another blog to keep me amused. Looking forward to reading Haz.

May 11, 2005 9:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just dropping by to say heeeeyy Alina!

Thanks for hot chocolate yesterday, it was very cool talking to you. And very helpful. :)

In case your phone's still dead and you didn't get my text this morning ... I overslept until 8 and then felt really rough with an icky sore throat, hence missing the prayer meeting. I hope it went well, and I'll be there next week!!! Hopefully with Katy too :)

Anyways, cool blog you have here, I'll be back to visit again!

Rosanna xxx

May 13, 2005 4:47 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

Ha ha - I love that argument, Steve!

I vaguely remember that, Haz - will toddle over to your blog now....

Oh, and 'lina - I know what you mean :( I have a couple of friends with whom I can't have any sort of conversation without them making it into a "debate" that they have to win. Grrrr..... !!

May 13, 2005 6:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home