The Princess's Diaries

Tuesday, April 12, 2005

My Inability to Focus

Why is concentrating so difficult?

Sit down, get out folder, pick up pen, lay paper out on desk...read notes...re-read notes...think about what other work needs doing...make to-do list...make to-do list for non-work tasks...begin to do one of the tasks on the second list...look at notes again...answer one question, leaving ends of sentences unfinished for 'later'...turn on computer...check emails...say hi on msn...look at folder and answer another question, again unfinished...decide 'i can't do this properly until a) i talk to someone in my class who knows, b) i speak to my tutor or c) i get another book out of the library'...get out sketchbook...read through all previous work, for no reason, just like reading it...feel hungry, get food...look at work...panic a bit...decide need sleep, go to bed.

please analyse me someone! why do i do this? why can't i just resolve to do my work and actually do it, without finding distractions or making excuses?

4 Comments:

Blogger Dave Heath said...

story of my life, and something that if I had a time machine I would go and change, but ah well. stuck like it now

April 13, 2005 2:50 PM  
Blogger Steveybabe said...

did I ever mention to you how appealing it was to clean my room when i was supposed to be revising for finals?

April 15, 2005 8:14 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

Verrry common. You seen David's blog?

April 24, 2005 5:23 AM  
Blogger Harriet said...

it's taken me twice as long as it usually would just to write this comment mainly because I'm avoiding tidying the house. I think that an inability to organise oneself is a personality trait (see Myers-Briggs personality type tests) but I'm sure there are plenty of techniques to overcome it (wish I knew what they were tho!)

It affects us non-students too...and organising things is my job! Help!

April 30, 2005 5:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home