The Princess's Diaries

Saturday, April 25, 2009

I Am Making All Things New

Yesterday I had an interview for a job teaching art at a very wonderful school. When I got home I begged God to let me have it - and how on earth do you convince God to give you something? I don't know. I considered striking up a deal, but wasn't sure that was the way to go. So I just pleaded. He must have wanted me to have it, or been all right with it at least, because when they phone an hour or so later they offered me the job!

I have just read through some of the previous posts in this ancient blog of mine. I love being reminded of the journey I've been on. I still recall the feeling of realising I wanted to train to be teacher because I really wanted to do it, not just to feel sorted with a plan. At the time of the PGCE interview, I was working part-time at a high school as an artist, and part-time at the library, which i was starting to feel a little disillusioned about. I was at the library when I got a phone call to let me know that unfortunately I didn't get the one remaining place on the teacher training course. Heading back into the library from the tea room, I broke the news to my colleagues. One slightly grumpy woman responded, "well, you're stuck with us now then." In that instant I decided to hand in my resignation as soon as I could type it out. Forming in my mind was a plan to pursue my artist work instead, as my school was offering me an extra day. I would develop my personal practice in my days off and work towards setting up a creative business, perhaps. Jeff and I had a fantastic dinner out at the Red Chilli that evening to celebrate!

Last night we were back at the Red Chilli, celebrating my getting my first teaching job.

Two months after quitting the library, a place became available for me on the training course, and I had to think long and hard about whether I still wanted to be a teacher, as my new ideas felt very exciting too. I'm glad I took the place as I've discovered that I'm very good at teaching! I love being in the school environment, I love challenging and inspiring teenagers, and I love working in a team with like-minded adults. Jeff says I'm anointed to teach. I feel that maybe I am. It fills me with life and joy, and I know I'm making a difference in young people's lives. I'm in awe of God bringing his excellent plans to fruition despite all kinds of obstacles, and I'm really grateful for his goodness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home